It was a glorious day today here in the heartland! I took Jenna to the park today for the first time in what seems like forever. We live one block from an elementary school with 3 great playgrounds and, when weather permits, it is our second home. Today we spent over 2 hours playing with several neighborhood friends as they came and went. I love that part of being a mom -- just hanging out with other parents enjoying the company of your kids. Some parents perhaps get bored of that, but not me. I love it.
I finished a great book last night called Waiting for Daisy (by Peggy Orenstein if anyone's interested in reading it). It's a memoir about the author's infertility struggle that happily ended with a baby after 6 years of trying, including several IVF cyles and a failed donor egg cycle. I enjoyed her writing style and could obviously relate to much of her struggle. However, I was also keenly aware throughout the book of the difference between primary and secondary infertility. The author's biggest emotional struggle was about being childless. And that is something that no matter how long I fight my own painful battle, I will never be able to relate to. It must be truly AWFUL. My heart weeps for all the women out there who are trying desperately to have their first child and have to wonder each day whether they will ever be a mother. I truly am so grateful for Jenna; to have conceived her without much trouble, that she is healthy and happy and beautiful and smart, and that she is MINE.
At the park today Jenna played with a little girl who was in 1st grade. They played so well together that the girl's dad and I got quite a bit of time to chat because we hardly had to intervene at all. During our chat, I learned that the girl was also an only child. This dad obviously had no qualms at all about having only one...in fact, he said "I don't think we could handle another one!" I'm always both amazed and relieved when I hear parents of onlies say things like that. Relieved to know that there really are other only children out there that are perfectly happy, and amazed that some people actually CHOOSE to have only one child.
I turn 31 years old tomorrow. Steve and I celebrated last night with dinner and a movie. And he made me a beautiful cake today. I swear, the guy is turning into Betty Crocker! He can cook and bake with the best of 'em :)
3 comments:
Happy birthday!!! I hope it's a great one.
Isn't this weather crazy? Glad you had a good day and Happy Birthday for today!
Happy Birthday, my friend.
I miss you. I wish we lived closer so we could have another play date.
Post a Comment