20 February 2008

Another CD1 passes by along the way...

So...strategizing again...

I decided not to mess with progesterone right now to try to lengthen my cycle. I *despise* the vaginal suppositories and taking it orally makes me really nauseous, so why bother when I'm pretty sure it's going to be a couple months before i can get in on an IVF cycle anyway. I got the schedule from the head IVF nurse last week, and my natural cycle is not going to coincide with any of the next 3 IVFs. Not even close. Sooooo, I guess I'll just wait and see what Dr. G says on Tuesday. I must stay strong in my intention not to take any bcps this time around. Dr. G can be very convincing, and I don't want to waver, even if he temps me by giving me the opportunity to get in on the March IVF cycle. I don't deny, it is tempting. But I'll just kick myself if I take the bcp and then something goes wrong. I need to trust the intuition that I've had for many, many years that my body is very sensitive to hormones. I just need to wait it out and be patient.

Sometimes I ask myself why I don't take progesterone every month. Most people with short luteal phases (usually longer than my pathetic 7 days) take progesterone regularly to lengthen them. Why don't I do that? I guess the answer has two parts:

1. As mentioned above, I really do hate progesterone. I don't like how it makes me feel and I don't like taking hormones. I already get nervous about all the fertility drugs I've taken and really hope I don't acquire ovarian cancer or some other horrid disease as a result of all this unnatural treatment I've done thus far.

2. I guess I'm still not convinced progesterone does anything for me. I've had two pregnancies, both with documented low progesterone at 7DPO and AF-like bleeding when AF was due to arrive. I've done at least 10 cycles with progesterone supplementation and 0 pregnancies resulted from all those cycles. So....my odds seem to be better without it. My ob/gyn doesn't really believe in progesterone supplementation anyway, but she's always indulged me when I've asked for it in the past. My RE, typically, puts everyone on mega-doses of it!

There is a full lunar eclipse tonight and we have a clear sky. It is GORGEOUS!

2 comments:

d e v a n said...

Good for you for listening to your gut! Best of luck when the time is right!!! :)

deschenj said...

Good luck with your appointment Maren. Remember you know your body best!