I have a daily meditation book called The Woman's Book of Spirit that my mother-in-law gave me last Christmas. I go through phases in reading it. I haven't picked it up in awhile. Months, at least. I picked it up just now and randomly opened it to a page. Here's what it says:
Moving Toward Acceptance
The Norse have a saying: "Clouds Move." It reminds me that no matter how many clouds cover the sun, they will eventually leave. It is their nature, just as it is the nature of the human spirit to move out from under clouds and heal in the wake of crisis and trauma. Continually and consciously moving towards acceptance of people and circumstances over which we have no control creates an atmosphere that supports healing and transformation. Although acceptance isn't easy, it is facilitated when we re-form and re-frame crisis through re-wording how we think and talk about it. a few simple but thoughtful suggestions:
1)Change "my" and "our" pain to "the" pain. "The" pain is less personal and more manageable.
1) Replace both the words and the attitude of "Isn't this awful!" Instead, learn to say and believe "This is good." We don't have to believe something is good right away, and if we just can't bring ourselves to say "this is good" right now, we can instead pray "I can't yet see any good in this. Please help my vision clear and my trust return."
3) We can dis-identify with our feelings by remembering that at the core of ourselves is an indestructible divinity - our Soul-Self - who understands and remains apart from the crucible of crisis. We can help ourselves dis-identify with our pain and remember our Self by saying, "I have this feeling, but I am Not this feeling. Instead, I am __________________________." Fill in the space with whatever feels the most healing. I use "pure child of God" or "strong and wise spiritual being" depending on my need.
4) Remember. This too, shall Pass. When this challenge passes, what growth and insights will you have gleaned?
Clouds move. Crises pass. Wounds heal. Acceptance helps.
3 comments:
This is one of the most profound posts I have ever read. It applies to so many things. Thank you so much for sharing it.
That was really beautiful. Can I borrow it? And I love your new look! :)
Thank you for sharing this with me again, Maren. I can't quite express how comforting it is to me. If you have any specific advice about whether to wait things out, go for an induction, or do the d&c I would appreciate your perspective. I'm trying to wrestle through this part of the decision before I have to commit to something tomorrow.
Post a Comment