Remember how I said the nurse had called last week with my normal lab results? And I asked her to send me a copy in the mail? I looked at them last night after we got back from MN and it looked like several pages were missing. So, I called today and what do you know -- 4 pages of results were misplaced and were not with the original pages the doctor reviewed and the first nurse called me with last week.
The NEW pages of lab results show that I have one copy of C677T - which is Factor V heterozygous MTHFR, a blood clotting disorder. The little research I've done already says that one copy (heterozygous) is not nearly as indicative as 2 copies (homozygous) of recurrent pregnancy loss - but it is the reason people take Heparin, Lovenox and/or baby aspirin during pregnancy. (MA -- what can you tell me about this?) Anyway, my obgyn says the only thing I need to do is take a baby aspirin once a new pregnancy is established, but I'm sure this is pretty conservative treatment. You can bet I'll be doing more research and definitely will ask for whatever I think I might need.
Thank god I asked, right?!
5 comments:
Answers! At last! Lovenox is preferable to heparin, because it is gentler on the body, causing less bone loss, and also because you only have to take 1 shot per day instead of 2 (half the bruises). Taking 40mg Lovenox and baby aspirin at the same time caused me to bleed out of my injection sites later in the day. Unnerving. So I only use one or the other. I'm a borderline case with regard to my APAs, but my doc wrote the prescription anyway, saying it was up to me. M, you are still young. That is the good news. I'm praying so hard for you and your family. I'm glad you still have time to benefit from the additional information. (((hugs)))
I have the same thing, too. My RE prescribed 1mg extra folic acid, and that's all. I have to take it everyday for life. I asked about baby aspirin and she said it wasn't necessary. Definitely no heparin. If I had two copies I would have done heparin/aspirin, but not with one copy. It seems like there are many varying protocols depending on the doctor/hematologist. I debated going to a hematologist, but in the end just decided to hang with what the RE said. I did add a healthy dose of fish oil, though, because high doses are thought to have similar effects to heparin.
I know everyone's story is different, but solely increased FA, omega oils, and BA did not work for us. I am hetero A1298C MTHFR. I'm now on Lovenox and in the 2ww. Not sure if this will work for us, but most MTHFR's need Lovenox.
my SIL has this, she takes a gigantic dose of Folic Acid too.
It's amazing what the Dr.s don't tell us isn't it?
Best of luck!
Post a Comment