I've started to write this post about 4 times now, and each time I get up from the computer chair before its complete. My ego won't even allow writing a full post about my half-finished reproductive life.
The only child thing is so hard for me. I've come a long way on my road towards acceptance over the last 4 years, but it still hurts my heart each time I write or say those words. Only Child.
I never knew I was so afraid of only children until I had one. I have layers upon layers of fears that I've already written about here. In addition to fears, I have a few parenting neuroses that I believe to be specifically related to my reality of parenting an only child. Numero uno on that list is the unhealthy amount of guilt I feel every time Jenna asks me to play with her and I say no.
"Mom, will you play with me?"
"Mom, I'm lonely and I don't have anyone to play with?"
"Mom, I really, really want you to play with me!"
How many times do I hear these words every day? 20? 40? It's a lot.
I know all kids do this, and probably most moms feel some guilt when saying no to their kids' requests for parent play. I think parental guilt just comes with the territory, and like many things in life, there is a balance. However, I think it's different for moms of onlies. There is literally no one else for her to play with at home. I'm it. I already feel enough guilt about THAT fact alone, even without the 4 year-old drama show she often puts on when I say no. I feel this crazy obligation to interact with her all the time, like I'm trying to make up for the fact that she has no siblings.
Where does this fear come from? Why do I feel so guilty?
Clearly in our society only children are not the norm, and most people in the US have fairly negative connotations about it. I remember back in my naive, pre-TTC days, when a co-worker had a baby and told me she wasn't going to have any more. I was appalled. I actually said to her "Why would you do that to Jordan? He'll be so lonely!" I believe this to be a fairly common response. Not that people say it to my face, like I so callously and ignorantly did to my friend, but I know people must think it about me. People that don't know my history and just see me and my almost 5-year old daughter at pre-school and at the park must wonder how I could be so selfish as to not provide a sibling for my daughter. What's wrong with her?
(Alright, so I might be a bit paranoid)
So back to the playing with my only child issue. I've surveyed several of my mom friends about the fact that Jenna cannot entertain herself at all, and my guilt about not entertaining her when she asks. All unanimously reported that being unable to entertain oneself is, in addition to being an 'only' trait, also a trait of firstborns. Eldest children all experience some period of time as an only, and therefore internalize that feeling of having their parents attention full-time. Subsequent children never experience this, and therefore do not develop the need for undivided attention. I buy this theory in general, and I think that if I did have more children, Jenna would still require a lot of attention. However, if I had more children, I would not have as much time to dwell on my guilt, nor would I be physically able to entertain her all the time because I would have my hands full just making it through the day.
Which brings me to another point about only children. When you have a supportive and involved spouse, it really doesn't require a whole lot of work to raise one child. Two parents to one child is a pretty do-able ratio. I hardly ever feel overwhelmed with parenting duties - especially now that she's older and more independent. When I need a break, I leave her at home with dad for an hour or two and come back refreshed and ready to go. It's easy to run errands with one child. We can be spontaneous and I never feel tied to the house. I'm always able to manage her behavior because she has my full attention. I can send her to a fancy montessori school because we can afford tuition for one child. We'll be able to travel and do fantastic mother-daughter things as she gets older.
Yet despite the seemingly good qualities of the above-mentioned "benefits" to only children, the fact remains that I didn't choose to have an only. It never occurred to me that I would EVER have just one child. Of course, if I would have known, I still would have chosen one child over no children. But at least I would have been prepared. I would have gone in with the understanding that one was all I got, and I wouldn't have any expectation of more. Kind of like the people in China must feel. Some Chinese women probably yearn for more babies, but they understand the law and know going in that one is all they get. They have time to process and accept this fact.
I think that's it, actually. That's what causes a lot of the fear and the guilt. The simple fact that this was not my reality of choice. I don't like it. I want it changed. And I can't. AND, I didn't have the option to prepare for it ahead of time. I'm having to process, prepare for, and hopefully one day accept this reality AFTER trying and failing to change it for the last 4 years.
And once again, after a full day of saving and coming back to it, I cannot seem to finish this post...
13 comments:
I feel the same guilt on a regular basis. Gabe often plays reasonably well by himself, but invariably the times he does not are the times I am completely indisposed. And even if he's playing by himself, he wants to give me running commentary and have me comment on his plans or events, and sometimes I feel SO badly that I'm the only one he has to talk to and I just crave a little quiet sometimes.
Personally, I think it's personality rather than only child that leads to the not playing by oneself. #3 at our house will not, does not, can not play by herself AND prefers mom to play with her rather than her brother or sisters. I'm badgered by her to stop everything and play all day long and it's never enough. If I play with her for an hour, she's still begging for more. And God forbid, I say I will play with her and something comes up and I haven't, I hear about it for the next week. The other 3 play by themselves fine. ???
That's just my take on it but I realize that's not what your post is really about. I think it's hard when we expect one future and the reality of the situation isn't even close through no fault of our own. Acceptance is probably the hardest part...and does one truly ever get there? (((hugs)))
Oh. My. Gosh. You are so totally living my life. Maybe it has something to do with 4, but we've had a sudden uptick in the same kind of thing lately, and it's killing me. Also, I struggle with the guilt of somehow feeling like she's not enough. OF COURSE she's enough. She's a blessing. She's wonderful. But I have a really hard time with the concept that my battle for another somehow means I don't think she's enough. I want more. I want another FOR her. And for me. The acceptance thing isn't going so well over here either. Lots of hugs--I really do get it.
I have a friend about 3 years younger than me from college who was an only child. She must have had a lot of play dates as a child, because she developed an amazing sense of how to network, make and keep friends. In her 20s and 30s she could throw parties and fill an entire house with her friends, all of whom seem to know her very well and feel connected.
I could have wrote this post. You explained the sorrow, fear, and anger of still only having one child after struggling for years perfectly!
Don't worry about being paranoid, I'm right there with you. When I pick up Miss O. at preschool, I hardly make eye contact with any other parent, because I totally believe that they think of me as selfish.
And at 5, I now hear, "When am I going to have a brother/sister, Mommy?" Breaks my heart everytime.
((HUGS))
All of the mommies at preschool are pregnant except for me, so I'm getting the "when will you have a baby, mommy?" business too. Except she wants to go buy one at the store. If only it were that easy!
Like Photogrl said, I could have written this post too! (((HUGS))) Even though I we are finally pregnant with what appears to be a healthy baby (after TTC another living child for almost 5 years now), I have felt your pain and guilt for so long...
Our son, who will be six in October, actually plays very well by himself and is very social from years of playdates with friends (or just his personality, who knows), but there are still plenty of times when I have felt he has been cheated by not having a living sibling up to this point and/or that our efforts to try to have another living child have taken too much of my time and attention away from him.
Like you I NEVER imagined that it would take us this long to have more than one child and after struggling with secondary infertility, recurrent pregnancy loss and neonatal loss, still find it hard to believe that we will even get to bring this baby home with us later this year.
Anyway, if it gives you any comfort, please know that you are not alone. Secondary infertility is sooooo hard to live with and for our loved ones to understand/support us through. You are doing a great job/the best you can (none of us are perfect and you do have to take care of yourself too). You are human and are a GREAT MOM! Hang in there. (((HUGS)))
P.S. I have a somewhat random question for you that I prefer not to post here. Will you please email me at kmbenson75atyahoodotcom? So that I can email you back and ask you? Thanks! :)
Your post brought a tear to my eye, because so much of it describes exactly how I feel.
I feel guilt when Em asks me why she doesn't have a sibling and I don't have a worthy answer.
I feel disappointed and anxoius when another AF comes and I'm not pregnant.
I freak out the older Em gets, because I reallllly long for a sibling...but I also don't want their age-gap to be too large.
And I'm with you...much of the difficulty comes from my childhood dreams of a family of 4 (at least) being shattered, and no time to prepare myself that the dreams weren't going to come true.
Thanks for your eloquent post.
Hey Maren - I thought you'd get my response more quickly if I responded here than on my blog. I don't know if Kelli was on cmoms. I can't remember. She is on FF, so it's possible you'd know her from there, at least. And she's one of my admins on Mommy's Online. So sad! :(
Mommysonline.com! Come join us! It's mostly the crew that split off from C-Moms and formed Mommy Zone when CM went paid, but it sort of fractured again, and now Steph and I co-own it.
Done! :)
Hi Maren,
Thank you for sharing your journey.
I'm a physician and former faculty member at Harvard and Stanford Medical Schools. I discovered your blog while looking for the best health writers on the web. I reviewed your posts, and think your writing would be a great addition to the Pregnancy & Fertility Community on Wellsphere, a top 5 health website that has nearly 5 million visitors monthly. If you would like to learn more about how you can join our Health Blogger Network, republish your blog posts and be featured on the Wellsphere platform, just drop me an email at dr.rutledge@wellsphere.com.
Cheers,
Geoff
Post a Comment