16 August 2009

FIVE???

How can my sweet little girl be turning FIVE in a mere 11 days??

She is starting kindergarten for heaven's sake!

(Granted, she goes to montessori school where kindy is the culmination year of the pre-school program - so she's not changing classrooms or doing anything different this year from the last 2 years). Whew!

But still!

If we were like most school districts in Kansas and had full day kindy, I probably would have sent her to public school. We live one block from a great public elementary. However, half-day kindy is such a PITA for working parents. It's worth the extra money (ALOT of extra money) to keep her at Raintree for one more year.
I know some people are opposed to full-day kindy, but when your kid has been in full-day pre-school for 2 years it seems kind of ridiculous to cut back down to 3 hours a day. *Shameless brag ahead* Even though Jenna is about the youngest kindergartner there is (our cut-off is Sept 1), she is reading, doing math, has all 50 states memorized and can tell you more about mummies and volcanoes than any adult I know....she is definitely ready for full-day kindy.

After looking for a Suzuki piano teacher for the last several months, I finally found one and signed her up. And DH decided she needed to play soccer - so I prompted told him I'd be happy for him to take her to soccer on Saturday mornings - and he agreed! YAY for free Saturday mornings starting August 29th :)

One of the biggest pre-kid myths out there, in my opinion, has to do with working. Many women, myself included, naively believe that they'll take a few years off when their baby is born (or in my case cut back to part-time) and then once their child starts school, they'll go back to full-time work. This is BACKWARD. Childcare is so easy from birth - 5 years old. There are a plethora of great childcare options that operate year round from 7am - 6pm wand cater exclusively to the working parent. It's when they start school that childcare becomes hard. What's a working parent to do about Christmas Break, Spring Break and for heaven's sake, SUMMER! I refuse to put J in some kind of summer camp program all summer long for the next 10 summers until she's old enough to stay home alone.

I need to start looking for a school social work job ASAP. Must. Have. School. Calendar.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Aw! How exciting! I'm so not looking forward to the day Gabe starts kindergarten... it's just so unbelievable to me! I used to think the same thing - stay home until kindergarten and then find some sort of work to do when he goes to school. But I agree - that seems to present more problems than it solves! Good luck finding a "school calendar" job. In spite of my own public school teaching experience, I do think working with kids in the school setting can be very rewarding and a lot of fun.

Tracy said...

I'm more of a fan of half day Kindergarten. But, only because I don't work. If I did, it would be a hassle for sure. it doesn't really matter, here, though. They only have whole day unless you want to pay an arm and a leg to send them to private for half day.

And, I'm with Heidi, not looking forward to Kindergarten. Its going to make me cry!

d e v a n said...

Dane is in preK this year and I'm hating every minute of it. Just the mention of the word kindergarten is enough to make me tear up a little.
I can't believe Jenna is turning 5! What a big (and smart!!) girl!

Amanda said...

YAY! Jenna in kindergarten. It is so bittersweet! You are right about childcare though, that is one of the reasons I decided I would get a degree in Education, so I could be on the kid's schedule.

I cried the first day of school last year, and this year my 4-year-old will be going to pre-K three times a week - RIDING the bus! I am going to be very hard to console!

Alana said...

Awww, kudos to Jenna for almsot turning 5 and for being such a smarty. How awesome!

I soooo agree with your description of how childcare becomes more difficult as the child gets older, starts activities, etc. Most of the days Em and I have the same schedule. But there are times her private school schedule differs from mine, and then we're left scrambling to find child care for the day. :)