21 September 2009

Sad Day = Gratitude List

I have been so very sad today. I'm sure it's indirectly (or directly) related to the disappointing appointment last week, and some cycle strangeness that's going on currently - but the sadness feels really overwhelming today. DH keeps asking me what's wrong, and I don't know what to say. I guess maybe I'm just sick and tired of saying it.

Often when I have these days, I try to do a gratitude list. Sometimes this just pisses me off even more, but in general it is fairly helpful. Most nights at dinnertime we do a version of this where Jenna, DH and I all hold hands and go around the table and say 3 things we are thankful for. It's our version or prayer, I guess. We didn't do it tonight, but if we had, I would have said the following:

I'm grateful for my health and the health of all my immediate family members.
I'm grateful for the resources we have that allow us to provide Jenna with an extra-wonderful montessori educational environment where she is thriving.
I am thankful for my online friends who walk this journey with me and remind me each day that I am not alone.

6 comments:

Photogrl said...

I like the idea of saying what you were grateful for at dinner.

Big ((HUGS)) for you...I hope tomorrow is better!

d e v a n said...

I like your list, but I'm sorry you were having a sad day.

Tracy said...

sorry about the sad day.

Heidi said...

I'm so sorry you're having a sad day! I hope tomorrow is better!

Cindy said...

I agree that stating what you're grateful for before dinner is a great idea and one I might borrow. It's so easy to get caught up in the disappointments of life and lose sight of all that is great.

BTW, I'm the one responsible for the deleted comments on your last post. I kept having brain farts and typing nonsense when I was trying to be thoughtful and uplifting. Just wasn't my day to comment. I'm shocked at the way some religious people can be judgemental and negative especially when they are in a position to be counseling others. Speaking as a conservative christian, I certainly don't condone the way you were spoken to and am sorry for the way you felt upon leaving that meeting.

I hope today is going better for you.

Alana said...

Just caught up on your last 2 posts. WOW. SOOOO very disappointed in "the system." I am frustarted that rather than having the #1 priority be placing a child in a safe and stable home, it sounds like the #1 concern of the agency was ensuring you'd raise the child as a Christian. Ugh. I don't get it.

Sorry you had a rough week. LOVE that your family does "gratitudes" before dinner, how neat.