04 May 2010

Parenting QOTD

For Mothers Day, I bought my mother-in-law this book, after I stood in Borders and read the entire thing cover to cover yesterday. It is great!

One of the stories is two sisters talking to each other about their mom, who died of cancer. One of them recalls something their mom said to her that has always stuck with her. Here it is:

"When you have children, always remember that a parent should be like a gas station. The children can come to you and then go out into the world and do their things and then come back for more. But be careful that the gas station stays in one place. Don't run after your children. Just stay there in the gas station to give them support."

I **love** this! I have a natural inclination to hover around Jenna and make sure she is never harmed or hurt in any way. I need this reminder. From now on, when I find myself wanting to rescue her or run after her, I will say to myself what the author says to herself.... I'm just a gas station!

No comments: