So, I think I'm about to do something big. Something I've been waiting to do for quite some time. Something I've been hoping would happen since I graduated from graduate school in 2002.
I'm going to become a school social worker!!
I applied for a social work job in one of our local high schools last year around this time. The school ended up not filling the position due to major budget crises. I was told I was the top candidate at that time.
Fast forward to two weeks ago. My neighbor, and teacher at said high school, informed me that they had another social work opening - and that this one was funded with special education money, so it would definitely get filled. Two openings in less than a year! That is unheard of in this town. Lawrence is full of social workers and there is only one school district, and only a handful of school social work positions to be had. They are a hot commodity when they come available.
I agonized about even applying for it again. It's not great timing for me, clearly. I haven't had a full time job in 6 years, and I didn't really want to start one with a baby due in 6 months. And not just *any* baby -- the baby I've been dreaming about for what seems like an entire lifetime.
Turns out, I didn't need to apply again. They called ME! I had a grueling interview last Wednesday, and today I was offered the job!
Every bone in my body is jumping up and down, screaming with excitement and joy at finally getting on a school calendar and being able to work in a school setting. Every bone, that is, except my maternal one. My maternal one is simultaneously telling me, "NOooooooo, you can't work full time with a 3 month old!!!" and also, "YAY!! Summers off and school calendar!!"
I think I'm going to take it. Steve is super excited for me, and he said he would look into taking 3 months FMLA leave when I have to go back to work, so that we wouldn't need daycare until the baby is 6 months old. I'm due in early May and here in the midwest our school year ends around May 20th - so that means I'll get a full 3+ months off before having to go back in mid-August. All in all, I can't pass it up!
6 comments:
Sounds like the opportunity you needed found you. I didn't know you were in Lawrence. We lived in KC for 7 years and always loved Lawrence.
In this economy it is a miracle. Congrats! 2010 is a great year for you. Couldn't happen to a nicer lady and family.
Congratulations! What good timing that you are due in May - a whole summer off!!! YAY!
That's wonderful news! Hip-Hip-Hooray!
WOW! That is such great news. Congrats! I can completely understand the maternal part of you questioning it but the good thing is the maternal part of you will make it work! CONGRATS, CONGRATS, CONGRATS!!!
Yay! Congrats! You will be really great in that setting!
Post a Comment