After 2 more phone calls with my wonderful midwife, we've decided it makes the most sense to go ahead with the methotrexate today. I'll have labs done again on Tuesday and again after I get home from vacation. If the numbers are going down significantly, no need for further treatment. If not, I'll have a second shot of the methotrexate and continue monitoring until the hcg is negative for pregnancy. This is very familiar to me, as it's exactly the treatment I pursued with my retained tissue following my d&c 2 years ago. Fortunately, I know I don't have any adverse reaction to the methotrexate, so that's positive. And she assured me again that it's very safe to take and that it has a very short half-life - meaning it will be out of my body quickly. I will take extra folic acid for the next couple of months following treatment, as methotrexate completely depletes the body of folic acid (which is why some doctors say to wait 3 months before TTC again after usage).
I asked her how this will read on my file and she said probably it will be recorded as "possible ectopic" or "undetermined non-viable pregnancy." So I probably will never know for sure. And if I've learned anything at all during the past 2 years, it is exactly that. There is just so much the medical community does not and will never know about the human body. For a control-freak like me, that's a hard pill to swallow. But one that I'm learning I must try to accept.
So -- off to get a shot of low-dose chemo!
4 comments:
I'm glad you came to a decision that you're OK with. I'll be thinking of you. ((Hugs))
Maren - I am so, so, so sorry. What rotten news! Please keep us posted on how you're doing!
Maren, I'm so sorry to read everyhting that is happening. I wish you physical and emotional healing. I'm so very sorry.
melissa
Maren, just checking on how your beta went. You've been in my thoughts.
-Jessica
Post a Comment