19 March 2008

Grrrr - doctors!

I am sooo tired of dealing with doctors.

After calling this morning to get the results of my labs yesterday and being told I needed to speak with a doctor - I knew something was up.

Finally, at 3:30pm Dr. M calls me back. I hate Dr. M. He sucks. He did Jenna's c-section and I've never liked him much. Very ego-centric and full of himself. Talks down to everyone. The worst kind of doctor. Anyway, after giving me a 5 minute recap of my history with this pregnancy thus far (thanks buddy, but I'm well aware of what's going on with my bod, probably much more so than YOU seeing that I haven't seen or spoken with you once prior to today), he says, "I must counsel you that going out of town right now is not best practice and you really should get another beta hcg on Friday to determine if the methotrexate is working." I told him I had already gone over all of this with Julie (my midwife who I love), and she told me it would be fine for me to go out of town and come in for the lab first thing on Monday, as long as I promised to go directly to the ER if I have any pain or if my spotting increases to full-on bleeding. He repeats that it would be against his medical advice to tell me it's ok to go out of town. I asked him what my hcg was yesterday when I had it drawn. He WON'T tell me! He says it's irrelevant, and that the comparison labs that they need are day 4 post-treatment (which was yesterday) and day 7 post-treatment (which would be Friday). He says they must see a decrease of at least 25% between those 2 labs to determine if the methotrexate is working. He says there is no relevance between my labs last Friday and my labs yesterday. Well, that might be all fine and good, BUT I STILL WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT IS DAMMIT!

I am still fuming. I am not an idiot, and I am certainly not going to take any chances with my health. I wish I would have known that the day 7 post-treatment lab was imperative. I could have postponed the shot until Monday or perhaps just scheduled a d&c instead. I asked Dr. M if I could get the hcg lab done in MN and he said no since it would be different lab and therefore not a good comparison. That's the only thing he said during the whole conversation that I agreed with and made sense.

I can't cancel this trip. My sister is flying in from DC specifically to see Jenna, and I really need to be with my extended family right now. We'll be in the Twin Cities, so I can certainly get to a doctor quickly if I need one. AND, I'm not even 100% convinced that I have an ectopic pregnancy anyway - in which none of this frustration even matters because the only thing they're freaked about it is rupturing. In fact, my instincts tell me that it's not ectopic, just a messed-up regular ole missed miscarriage. My slow-to-respond body just hasn't quite figured out yet that this baby is not meant to be, hence this slow-rising hcg.

I hope I'm not being irresponsible. I HATE that Dr. M made me feel like this. I hadn't given the trip a second thought until he called. ARGH!!!

1 comment:

d e v a n said...

ugh. I can't believe he wouldn't tell you! Wether it's relevant or NOT it's still YOUR body and you have a right to know!!! Grrrr

I hope you have fun on your trip!