I am writing this down as a reminder and promise to myself to change obgyn practices after this is all said and done. I swore last time after my botched d&c and sub-par patient care in the months following that I was going to change practices, but I never did it. The problem is that I adore my midwife and have been going to her since I moved to Lawrence in 1996 for all my gynecologic care even prior to child-bearing years. We have a lot in common and I think she really likes me as a person, not just as a patient. But, the practice has grown exponentially and now there are 6 midwives, 6 doctors and two different locations. Consequently, there is very little consistency. Julie is only in the Lawrence office on Mondays and Fridays, so if I have to go in any other day of the week, I have to see someone else. For most women experiencing normal pregnancies with no complications (including my own), it's not much of an issue because you just schedule all your appointments on Mondays or Fridays. But when you have problems and have to go in on random days ASAP (like my last two pregnancy experiences), it's a PITA.
Another reason I was hesitant to leave the practice is that they are the only ones in a 50 mile radius that will still do a VBAC. And, at one time, that was an important goal of mine. Now, I'm thinking with all my issues and abdominal surgeries, I'm probably not a good candidate anyway - so that shouldn't influence my decision any longer. Not to mention the obvious......which is too painful to write at this moment.
I do value continuity of care, and I certainly have a history with this practice - but I do think it's time to cut the ties. Find someone else and move forward without all this baggage.
Most women in reproductive years would probably agree that their ob/gyn office holds a special place in their heart. You spend more time there than any other doctor office and get to know it intimately. I have such great memories of first ultrasounds, first heartbeats heard and bringing Jenna in for weekly weigh-ins during those first stressful breastfeeding weeks -- all within those walls. But those have been tainted with two years of sadness, constant bloodwork, surgery, horribly painful saline sonograms, bad news and bad bedside manner. Yes, it is time to move on.
C'est la vie Womens HealthCare Group!
1 comment:
Sorry Maren. I hope you find a new practice that you love and works out beter for you!
Post a Comment