07 June 2010

Action Items #2 and #3

So here I am with another report on my action items. I like to make reports when I have progress. It's kind of like making lists and putting things on them that you've already done just so you can cross them off (yes, I do this. Doesn't everybody?).

I'm still reporting from this post, because frankly, it has been a pretty powerful time for me. The last 2 months have been some of the most emotionally intense times of my life. From this high strung girl, that's quite a statement. I've realized that what I have been feeling over the last five years in regards to our fertility journey has never really been anxiety or fear. It's been a whole lot of sadness and anger, and also a bunch of guilt and shame and regret and grief and loss and frustration and sometimes hopelessness...but never anxiety. I did a pretty good job of handling all that other stuff. This anxiety business has just about sent me over the cliff. It has been Really Really HARD.

Action Item #2:
I had my first appointment with a new therapist last Thursday. She asked good questions, let me do most of the talking, and shared just a couple of interesting insights. All in all, a good first appointment. We talked about starting an SSRI as part of my "symptom management" (her words), and so I'm going to see my regular doctor today at 3pm. I have mixed feelings about it. I think I've decided I'm going to try a whole host of other things first (see Action Item #3 below), and if nothing has changed in a month, I'll start the meds.

Action Item #3:
Alternative treatments. There are so many to choose from! And it seems like everyone I talk to has different suggestions. I want to try everything! For now, I'm starting with the following:

Acupuncture - I had kind of a freaky experience with acupuncture about 4 years ago. I started going in February 2006 after trying for 8 months to have a second baby (gosh that was a Loooong time ago!). I went for one month, once per week, and took 2 tinctures of Chinese herbs daily. After 4 weeks, I ended up pregnant with FOUR gestational sacs. None were viable, I had my incomplete D&C and 4 months of agony while I waited for my body to right itself. I have no idea if the two are/were related, but I've been kind of afraid to go back to acupuncture since then. However, I love the acupuncturist and she specializes in womens health, so I'm going to give it another shot. I have my first appointment a week from Friday.

Supplements - After talking with several friends and doing my own online research, I've decided to add three supplements to my vitamin cocktail that I try to remember to take daily: Fish oil, Evening Primrose Oil, and Natural Progesterone Cream. EPO and progesterone are supposed to help with breast health, which I'm most concerned about currently since I still have a breast cyst that is bothering me a bit. I also read that eliminating caffeine relieves symptoms for some women, but that's gonna be a super hard one for me - so I'm saving that for last :)

In other news, we had a FABULOUS trip to Colorado last week with my bother-in-laws and their families. It was glorious Memorial Day weather and we had a great cabin in Estes Park. This week is my first week of "summer hours" - which for me means only working Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Jenna is thrilled to be back at school for the summer, where they swim twice a day and do lots of gardening and outdoor activities. I did some gardening for a friend's birthday yesterday and got poison ivy for the first time in my entire life. And tonight my photography class starts!

4 comments:

Cindy said...

It sounds like having a course of action is helping.:) I haven't ever tried "making lists and putting things on them that you've already done just so you can cross them off" but am tempted to try it so I can feel like I've accomplished something!lol

d e v a n said...

Ooh, a photography class!fun!
I totally do that list thing.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are well.

One thing I remember that helped me in times past was when my therapist told me that a panic attack never killed anyone. So there is really nothing to fear from getting an attack. Sometimes in between panic attacks the fear builds up of another one and round and round we go. But once I though of this, I was like, "bring it on!" and that helped.

Photogrl said...

I'm glad to hear that the session with the new therapist went well. I hope you continue to feel better no matter which plan of action you decide to take.

Isn't Estes Park just beautiful? We went there last year for a wedding...I just loved it!