01 July 2009

Intern curiousities and a new summer do

So, I think I've mentioned before that I'm a social worker at a small non-profit organization in my town. Each year I supervise an intern from our university's School of Social Welfare program. I love this part of my job. It is very rewarding, and I have been very fortunate to have really great interns over the past 4 years. Interestingly, the last 2 and the one I just interviewed today have reproductive histories I find curious and somehow not just coincidental that they landed in my office:

Intern #1 - This was my intern 2 years ago. I wrote about her here. She was 40 years old, no children, and a history of infertility. She was the intern I had right after my failed IVF try, and I found it fortuitous for both of us that we were matched up together at the height of our emotional fragility. It was good for both of us that neither of us got pregnant that year!

Intern #2 - My intern last year. She was in her late 30s with no children by choice and had experienced an unplanned pregnancy which resulted in miscarriage.

Intern #3 - My intern for next year. She is probably around my age with an only child - a 6 year-old daughter. Now, I stand by my notion that behind every only child is a story. I can't wait to find out what this one is....

I should really start writing this stuff down. I think I could write a book one day of only children stories. It might actually sell a few copies, no?

And finally, a picture of Jenna's new summer 'do' - which I adore!

7 comments:

Alana said...

Glad you're bonding with your interns...IF seems to connect people in many ways, hey?

LOVE Jenna's new do, it looks super. She's such a cutie! :)

Anonymous said...

Jenna looks great.

Sounds like you are fortunate with your interns. And they are fortunate to work with you.

Cindy said...

sweet do!

ryanandjoesmom said...

LOVE the hair cut! Very cute!!

Nothing is ever 'just coincidental' is it?

Heidi said...

She is so adorable!

Photogrl said...

I'm a big believer in people falling in and out of our lives for a reason. That's very interesting about your interns.

Jenna's new do is cute!

I've been trying to get Miss O. to cut hers, but so far no luck!

deschenj said...

Hey M! N just got a very similar haircut and loves it. For baby pictures check out the kids blog (tataandpeewee, link on the right side of my blog). Let us know how your intern turns out too :)
-J